Yesterday I woke up and asked myself “What can I complete off of my 30 before 30 list?” and the first thing that came to mind was make truffles! Since it is Valentine’s Day this week and it was my friends birthday yesterday I thought it would be a great occasion to make them.
So I got up and I looked up how to make them. There are lots of recipes out there! I chose the one with the least ingredients for my first attempt! I then enlisted Alexis to help me make them.
These ones are quite basic and pretty tasty. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com. We found cute little tiny muffin cups to put them in at the dollar store.
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- Coatings: Could be whatever you want really. We chose to make ours with cocoa powder, white hot chocolate powder, icing sugar and for the birthday girl we even covered one in coloured sprinkles!
1. First we put the condensed milk in a pot (double boiled). We slowly added in the chocolate chips until melted.
2. When the chocolate and condensed milk were smoothly blended together we removed the mixture from the stove top. We divided the mixture into two, adding vanilla to one batch and spicing up the other batch by adding some Amaretto. We placed the mixture in the fridge for 2-3 hours so that it could become firm.
3. Once the mixture was firm we shaped it into small balls and rolled them in whichever toppings we liked.
5. We even packaged some of them up to give as gifts!
Next time (and there will be a next time!) I may even get a bit fancier. I think maybe an orange flavour would be nice with a candied orange curl on top? or maybe a hazelnut? What do you think?